Here’s what my regulars told me when I asked them why they come to class week after week:
- “because it’s fun!”
- “a safe place to be silly and make mistakes”
- “feel like a kid again”
However, we know there is much more to play than meets the eye:
…there is a kind of magic in play. What might seem like frivolous or even childish pursuit is ultimately beneficial. It’s paradoxical that a little bit of “nonproductive” activity can make one enormously more productive and invigorated in other aspects of life.
-Stuart Brown, M.D., in Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul
There are many types of play, but the kind we engage in during Recess is both active and social. It’s not too much of a stretch, then, to expect this kind of play to combine the benefits of physical activity (“exercise”), social interaction, and play. To be more specific, these are some of the benefits you may experience:
- Physical benefits: Improved balance (both static and dynamic), hand-eye coordination, agility, cardiovascular fitness, and immune system.
- Mental benefits: Improved memory and cognitive ability; decreased stress, anxiety, and depression; increased creativity.
- Other benefits: Stronger social network, increased confidence.
Why play with Monkeyshine?
- Kerri has reviewed countless books and websites over the past few years to bring you games that are fun and relatively safe for the average adult.
- Games have been tested and refined on adults like you.
- Recess brings together a “gang” of fun-loving adults who are ready to play with you.
- We provide all of the toys and props you’ll need to play, including grown-up sized hula hoops and balls that won’t make you cry if they hit you.
- We do all the work, so all you have to do is show up.